February 16, 2007

Finally Friday, of another long weekend. President's Day. Lucky me to work bankers hours; lucky to get market holidays. YAY! So the weekend begins with another winter storm rolling through, just a couple inches of snow expected... and with Monday off, I am not complaining. Next week is short, vacation days to visit my wonderful dentist... fun. No matter how great the dentist, the visit is always dreadful. Although the laid back guy he is, always checking to make sure I don't want a prescription, and laughing in disbelief when I say no. Sings classic rock (to the radio) while working. Through the drilling and grinding you get to hear songs such as "Hells Bells" or "Cocaine"... it's great. He even substitutes words occasionally ... laughing under the drill isn't exactly safe, but hey, I've survived... I also get to team up with the hygienist, and argue about why Dr. P is still single.. supposedly he's so picky he could write the stats on his dream girl, right down to her molars.
So tomorrow bright and early in the a.m. my Papa is hopping a flight for Guatemala, to help bring water to those without. It's amazing, a couple of years ago, we went out to dinner for Father's Day, and I gave him a questionnaire (100 Q's), to get to know him more. One question was about his dreams in life. His answer, was that he had always wanted to use his skills from well drilling, and go drill wells for people in third world countries, without running (or safe) water. What a dream.. how many people do you know (yourself???) that would answer that question, in such a way to as to demonstrate how other people come first. I've got the best Papa in the world, I'm telling you. I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!! It doesn't get any better. So anyhow, he happens across this article in a magazine about well drilling in Guatemala, and voila, of course he's on it!! After growing up, and realizing what kind of man he is, and what kind of things he's done for people.. I know that this is such a dream come true for him. I am so excited, and nervous of course.. but I just can't believe he's going to get to go, and do this. It's amazing! My point, is that it is quite the position to be in.. my shoes, or any one of my siblings shoes. We were blessed with our father, that will give, and give, and give, and give... with sore hands, from giving so much, he will still give. I hope that I can learn more and more from him, and learn to carry on the legacy that I know he's created. He has such big shoes.. so I just wanted to take a moment to reflect, and proudly blog about the fact that his big shoes are traveling abroad to give something to the people of Guatemala. Much love Papa, enjoy your trip, safe travels, I love you more than I can ever show you or tell you...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is for my father, as he is by far the most respectable man.

I have spent all of my life telling everyone, except for him.

I have never witnessed more strength, or more faith in one man.

I have never been touched with greater love than his two hands.

There is a place in this life where we all long to be.

Given the best or the worst, this is the place in which he stands.

Within the limits of language,

I am not calling on perfection.

I am placing honor.

I am naming courage.

In description of generosity, may I introduce to you

the man that has given five children

ground, on which to stand.

Faith in which to believe.

Courage, as something to learn.

Love, as something to give.

Strength, on which we can lean.

This is my father, as he is by far, the most respectable man.

~ M.D.M. ~ 1/30/06

No comments:

Post a Comment